Thursday, March 17, 2011

Pensacola Beach, Part One

Perfect weather for the beach!
This is our first blog about our most recent trip. We have been planning to visit New Orleans since last year but we decided to wait until Mardi Gras, a perfect time to celebrate the year that has passed since Becky and I met. Procrastinators as we are, planning our stay were not all that easy. In January everything in the French Quarter was pretty much booked. In particular Saturday night also the surrounding hotels were full, so we decided to stop somewhere on the way. The idea of a day at the beach seemed perfect. We chose Pensacola Beach, FL located in a beautiful island, just three hours east of New Orleans. The day before we left, the weather reports were not particularly encouraging. Thunderstorms were expected during the day.
We got on the way on Saturday March 5, at 11 AM.

On the road.

Because Gavin is so sweet, he neglected to mention that we planned to leave at 9 am but I am the absolute worse when it comes packing and leaving for a trip. I can begin packing 3 days in advance and still be packing 2 hours after the agreed upon time of departure. I hate packing. I hate it almost as much as I hate onions but not quite as much as I hate mayonnaise. Eventually, I finished packing, we said our goodbyes and we were on our way. Despite the weather we had a ton of fun on the drive down. Gavin is teaching me Italian, so we had plenty of time to practice. After reviewing some verbs, we worked on new vocabulary. While Gavin drove, I documented the road trip in photographs and took notes for our first favorite movie list. Everything was going so smoothly until we stopped in Greenville, Alabama for gas…

Delivering gas pumps in Greenville, Alabama
Yes, Becky realized that she forgot her medication at home and the only place where we could get it over there was Wal-Mart (eww). Their pharmacy was closing for lunch, so we were stuck for an hour. Oh well, since Becky can’t beat me at forgetting stuff, I also realized I forgot something… my swimsuit! I still had hopes to make it to the beach so I got one while waiting. After filling gas at a gas station that was about to get brand new gas pumps, and my first ever fish sandwich at BK we were on the way again.

Becky: Lord of the Itinerary
Did we drive through a hurricane? Did the trunk pop open at 70 mph, causing us to lose all our luggage? Were we kidnapped by Sardinian shepherds, or have the dullest trip ever recorded? You’ll just have to wait and see. I love suspense! Check back soon to find out what happened when we arrived in Pensacola.

2 comments:

  1. so...i was in pensacola last week from the 10th through the 13th...were y'all there? had i realized it, we could've met up (of course, we would have to travel to another state to see one another hahah)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we could of hooked up but we had just arrived back in Atlanta when you left. :( But we should hook up sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete